Sunday, January 26, 2014

B e a u t i f u l W o m e n

Before you read this, open a new tab or a new window or whatever you prefer and search the phrase "beautiful women" in Google Images.

Did you do it? No? Well go do it. Yes? Good.

Okay so lately on Facebook I've been seeing more and more posts of these super inspiring videos with regular people trying to redefine beauty through social media. Here are a couple of examples:

A New Look on Selfies

World's "Ugliest" Woman

After seeing so many of these amazing posts, I couldn't help but join the fight.

Remember that Google search I had you do a few minutes ago? Well why on earth were all of the woman practically naked? Some of them completely nude, some of them fully clothed (kind of) but pulling some sexy pose with their butt sticking out, their back arched, or their lips all kissy-faced. Is that really beautiful? And before you say, "Ha, yes Megan it is," let me ask you this: Are the girls you find beautiful really the ones you see online that you can picture yourself having sex with? The ones you've never spoken to, never learned anything about, you don't even know their name or what they like to do or what they find intriguing or what their most embarrassing moment is? You've never seen their eyes sparkle when they tell you about something they are passionate about, and you've never had the beautiful realization that they trust you enough to tell you something so important to them? These women. The ones you searched a few minutes ago. All you know about them is boobs, butt, clear skin, straight teeth, and nice hair. And you're telling me that is beautiful? Sexy maybe. But to throw the word beautiful at them like all it takes is stripping my clothes off and a pose with my legs apart and my back arched so my boobs are more perky? That's beautiful? No I refuse to accept that, and guess what. These days, we have social media for people to speak out. The world is no longer magazines and Victoria Secret fashion shows. Everyone gets a say now. Everyone has a chance to tell the world what beautiful is. And you know what? I think we can beat the magazines, MTV, and underwear models.

Here are a few examples of people that I think are simply beautiful.

This is my best friend Summer Danielle Seibold.



She loves wolves and all animals for that matter. Her dream is to become a vet, and let me tell you. I've seen the sparkle in her eyes when she tells me about this dream of hers and it is beautiful.


Summer is a hard worker. For as long as I've known her she's been working working working. We worked at a cub scout camp together in middle school. The next year she found a job working for the forest service. She worked for a while as a janitor and when that didn't work out, she found this amazing job at Starbucks.


Summer loves Vampire Diaries and Supernatural and random movies like Thumbelina. She likes to blast her music in the car so loud you think your ears are going to pop. She dances like a maniac and just makes you want to join her in her crazy dancing but you can't join her because her dancing is so beautifully crazy that you just can't look away.


This is my oldest (as in friends the longest, she's not actually that old) friend Sierra Lee Clark.



I've known Sierra for as long as I can remember almost. I have a picture with her in the bath tub. Both of us were tiny little kids and completely naked without a care in the world. There's another picture I have of me and Sierra sitting in her driveway drawing with chalk, also without a care in the world.



As kids, we used to play in Sierra's basement and I'm pretty sure one time we were convinced something .. or someone... had moved a knife that was down there. We were pretty creeped out and yup, it was official. We were gonna' die. I've seen Sierra grow into this beautiful young woman. I've seen her grow from a child's curiosity glistening in her eyes to determination. I've seen her fall in love, and it's beautiful. She is beautiful.

This is my mom. Denise Charlene Christensen.



There is far too much to say about how beautiful my mother is, but I'll do my best. My mom has been through so much in her life. I'm not going to share her trials and her struggles because it's not my place to share, but I'm going to tell you that I've seen her cry tears of despair, and I've also seen her cry tears of joy. You should see the way my mom lights up when her kids do something to make her proud.


That's a picture of my mom and brother picking me up for my first break home plebe year. Just LOOK at that smile! Beautiful, isn't it?


My mom's crazy, but in a crazy beautiful way. I love her so much and I regret not showing my appreciation to her in a beautiful way like she shows her appreciation for others. Every time I visit home, she's spending time in the kitchen cooking up some new treat and then bagging those treats to take around to all of her new friends and old friends and some people who aren't actually her friend but just need a pickmeup. Look at that face up there. Beautiful right? Crazy beautiful.


Although it was a struggle, a long bumpy road with many arguments and trials and just plain exhausting nights, my mom got me to where I am today. We never had any money for me to go to college, but she insisted that I could find a way. She fully believed that I would find a way to get my college education payed for, and guess what. *whispers* I got a full ride scholarship.. Shhh! * I go to this amazing school called the US Naval Academy and I absolutely love it. I was pretty distraught when my mom kept pushing that I needed scholarships because we didn't have any other way to pay for it, but look at me now! Big bad 2/C Midshipman. Come at me bro. And it's all thanks to you mom. You're beautiful way of making sure I achieved my dream. It's beautiful. You're beautiful.

This is a friend I met at the academy. Dana Petersen.



Beautiful. And you know why she's beautiful? She has one of the strongest minds I know. She knows what she believes. She knows where she's going and she knows what's right and she's not afraid to tell you. Dana loves history, she's a beast at using an elliptical, and she's beautiful.

This is a friend from church. Stephany Andrews.



I could go on and on about Stephany. Stephany is beautifully kind. Stephany makes treats all the time for the young single adults in church. She's a nanny and today she showed me some beautiful videos of these kids playing in the snow, dancing to music, and just being beautiful. Stephany sees the beauty in others. She has this contagious laugh that just makes you feel all warm inside. She's beautiful. (Psst. It's also her birthday today).

These are my sisters:


Shylo loves to cook and she gets the biggest smile when she feeds you a meal that you enjoy.


Ashley loves to sing and her passion radiates from her face as she does it.


Cindy loves the 49ers and Disneyland. She can never have enough Disney and now she has a beautiful daughter, Gwen, to share these passions with. Gwen is beautifully beautiful and there's not much more to say. She pulls at your heart strings beautifully and she's not afraid to tell you that Donatello is the best ninja turtle.


Tricia and Sheila love their children beautifully as well. They are my beautiful sisters.


So what does beautiful mean to you? Do you agree with Google Images and Victoria's Secret? Don't get me wrong. It's possible to be both sexy and beautiful but if all I've got is a picture of you in your underwear, I can't call you beautiful until I see you living a beautiful life.

So all you females reading this post. I beg you, look in the mirror, forget the bags under your eyes, forget the graying hairs, forget the pimples, forget what the world has taught you. Those bags under your eyes might mean that you have stayed up nurturing a young baby, giving it life. Beautiful. Those graying hairs mean you have lived long enough to get grey hair! You have a story to tell woman, so go tell it. Beautiful. Those pimples mean your human. That's it. Beautiful. The world no longer has the power to tell you that you're arms are too hairy or your butt is too pasty white or your feet are too long. My arms are hairy, my butt is pretty pasty since it never sees the sun, and my feet are long and bony, but guess what. I play the bagpipes, the flute, and the piano beautifully. My eyes are beautifully blue. I'm pretty darn good at mathematics. Sometimes I laugh so uncontrollably hard that I sound like an evil person. I love blasting Disney, Taylor Swift, and Les Misérables and I don't care who hears me singing along. I am beautiful.

So here's my challenge to you, people of the internet, find three women in your life who are simply beautiful and go tell them why you find them beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. This was enjoyable to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I adopt you Megan? No wonder your mom is so proud of you. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete