Sunday, April 7, 2013

Nasty, Polygamist, Cultist Freaks

Okay. So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I've realized that in high school, I fit in just fine because most everyone around me was Mormon. Now I go to a college that is pretty opposite from home. When I first showed up, my roommate was upset and all I heard for about 10 minutes was eff eff eff EFFFFF haha so little plebe Megan looked at her with wide eyes thinking WHAT?! I didn't realize how much of a bubble I was in back home. Now, two years later, I'm used to the real world and I realize that I've been trying to fit in  to this new culture, but now I know that's not going to happen. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm a Mormon.

We've all heard the "no body's perfect" speech and the "everyone makes mistakes" talk. Well it's true. We all make mistakes every day, and recently I made one that offended a couple people. After all of the apologizing, one of those people later voiced that Mormons are "nasty, polygamist, cultist freaks." I made a mistake and this person has every right to be upset. But I'm sorry that she associates my mistake with my religion because being LDS is the best thing about my life.

As far as nasty, I shower every day, wear deodorant  and brush my teeth at least twice a day. My church does not tolerate polygamy and we haven't for about 150 years now. I don't know where the cult idea came from, but I'll tell you that I believe in God, the Eternal Father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I believe the Bible to be the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly, and I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. As for the freak part, we are different, sure, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing.

People ask me all of the time "You don't drink right?" No I don't, and I can still have a blast on a Saturday night. Or "Wait, how do you survive at this place without coffee?" I stay awake by other means, mainly doodling. Or "You go to church for 3 hours every week?!" Yes I do, and I love every minute of it.

I'm not saying my lifestyle is better than anyone else's, but it makes me happy.

Going to church for 3 hours every Sunday and then hanging out with some of the best people I know. That makes me happy. Going to Family Home Evening every Monday night makes me happy. Going to study and learn about the scriptures every Tuesday night. Writing to all my friends who are serving missions. Wearing a swimsuit that covers my stomach. Using insults like lamehead or dumb bum instead of curse words. All of this is who I am. It's a part of me, and it makes me happy.




4 comments:

  1. cult
    Noun
    A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

    A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

    Any religion can be classified as a cult, people put a negative connotation on the word. A cult is a group of like minded individuals who worship, practice, or believe in a certain way and are just trying to do what makes them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't mormons believe that God the father was once a man and then progressed to godhood?

    If so, how does that compare with the bible which says that God is not, and has never been a man?
    see (Num 23:19, Hos 11:9). According to the bible God is spirit (John4:24) and a spirit does not have flesh and bones (Luke 24:39).


    Also don't Mormons believe that the Trinity consists not of three persons in one God but rather of three distinct gods. According to Mormonism, there are potentially many thousands of gods besides these.

    But the Bible says trusting in or worshiping more than one god is explicitly condemned (e.g., Ex. 20:3). There is only one true God (Deut. 4:35, 39; 6:4; Isa. 43:10; 44:6, 8; 45:18; 46:9; 1 Cor. 8:4; James 2:19), who exists eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14).

    It looks to me that just from these two examples it would be very hard to believe the bible and Mormonism...this is just a thought though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David-the First Article of Faith for the LDS religion states that "We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost" Because the LDS population in general does not make "Bible Bashing" a habit, I would recommend that you learn first hand from the LDS missionaries what we believe, as they can deliver the message in it's entirety with the correct spirit of sharing and not arguing. However, here are a few scriptures to get you pondering: Genesis 1:27 "God created man in His own image", Genesis 9:6 "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man" Luke 24:39 "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

      And, regarding the Godhead being three distinct beings: Matthew 3:17"And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." and John 8:18 "I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me" Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace"

      The Gospel of Jesus Christ is truly a gospel of peace. I bear testimony to you of the truthfulness of this gospel. Jesus Christ lived on earth and sacrificed his mortal life that we might have the opportunity to gain salvation through the principles of His Atonement. I humbly ask that you seek out the truth from those who are authorized and sent forth by the Savior to teach his word...search the scriptures, ponder and pray. James 1:5 states "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God that giveth to all men liberally and abraideth not, and it shall be given him". You have nothing to lose but some time, and everything to gain!

      Delete
  3. Megan, I love that you are figuring out what YOU believe. Each one of us must do that at some point in our lives. For some it happens early, for others they are still trying to figure it out on their way out of this life. Regardless of when it happens, committing to you beliefs takes determination and courage and a whole lot of faith. As we do this ourselves, we also can learn how to respect others' beliefs and encourage them in their own faith--whether or not it matches ours. Keep up your studying, prayer, and listening to the Holy Ghost whisper to you what God would have you do. By doing His will, as you know it to be true, it can only bless your life and those around you. Much love!!

    ReplyDelete